Subject: public file letters

From: [email-masked], Frank <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 89 08:14:02 pdt

*Someone gave instructions a while back for the magic procedures to make sure
*a complaint letter to a TV station ended up in their public comment file.
*I'm busy writing a letter to KQED, and want the magic instructions again.
*Please?

I saved a previous posting about this, here it is:

>From [email-masked] Mon May 22 08:49 PDT 1989
From: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Columbus march, writing letters to TV stations

   Date: Sat May 20 23:57:12 EDT 1989
   From: [email-masked]@cbnews.att.com

   ... I want to write to 10 and thank them for their fair coverage,
   and to the other stations and complain about their crummy one sided
   coverage.  Now, to get their attention I want this to go into their
   public file.  How does one mark a letter so that it goes into their
   public file?

Sorry to have not posted this before today; they say two moves = one fire...

Below are a few details from the individual in CA.  This pretty much
exausts my knowledge of the topic.  Also, here's a comment on the
Fareness Doctrine: it has often been used as an excuse not to air
contriversial material: the station will claim that they'll can't
afford to provide equal time for opponents, this maybe even if you pay
for your time.

					- Harold

If you want to hit the station where it hurts, write a letter to the
station that aired the news clip and point out any factual errors in
their presentation, the showing of a full auto when the actual issue
in question is semi-autos is a good one.  Tell them that their
inaccurate reporting is a disservice to the community and
irresponsible journalism.  Include in the letter that you want this
letter put in their "public file" and note that a copy is being sent
to the Federal Communications Commission, Complaints and Compliance
Division, Room 6218, 2025 M Street NW, Washington DC, 20554.  This
letter will be considered when the station's license comes up for
review.  It does have impact as we found out here in CA.  If you and a
few of your friends do so you could have an impact.  Have at it and
good luck!

[and]

Just remember, anytime the media says or depicts a full automatic
firearm when they mean semi-auotmatic, it is a deliberate distortion
and deserving of a letter for their public file.  Criticize them for
thier irresponsible journalism (use these words-it really gets to
them) and note that a copy of this letter is going to the Compolaints
and Compliance Division of the FCC.  It may have some impact on thier
operating license which is renewed every year.  Have at it and good
luck!