Subject: FIGHT MEDIA LIES

From: chan (Jeff Chan)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 93 14:50:04 PST

When you see the broadcast media lying (which is like every 
5 seconds now that there's legislation pending), send the 
station and the FCC a fax.  

When they talk about semi-autos and show full auto, say the 
Brady Bill requires a background check, say 300,000 kids 
carry guns to school, claim that guns are more likely to 
be used against you, etc, give specific examples of their
distortion, the specific person, time, date, channel and 
station id, why they should know it is false (like because
you faxed them about it before, or because you have some 
other facts or references) and fax it off.  

Be sure to say "FOR PUBLIC FILE" across the top and cc
Edythe Wise at the FCC (see below).  The station gets 
extra negatives if you mention something like "irresponsible
journalism," "disservice to the community", "deliberate
distortion",  "inaccurate", "biased", etc.  Again, you 
want specific examples of errors of fact, but these keywords
help get everyone's attention.

It may also be useful to fax the networks (if the piece 
originates from the networks), but ONLY the local staion
is accountable to the FCC for license renewal.  The 
networks have nothing to lose; the local stations can 
have their license challenged if enough people complain,
so they may pressure the networks for scale back their 
propaganda attacks.

You will need to call your local station for their fax 
number or address.  Tell them you want to send a fax for 
their public file and mention the program, to get the right
fax number.  A few broadcast media fax numbers I've collected
are below, and below that is the NRA mediawatch program.

Don't let the lies go unanswered!

Jeff Chan
Internet: [email-masked]
UUCP:     {apple,claris,pyramid,uunet}!shell.portal.com!chan
(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine unless otherwise noted.)
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                  Say NO to Big Brother Government.                 |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
maintainer of {ba,ca}-{firearms,[email-masked]
-----
"","News Director","NBC Nightly News","1","212","664-6044","","","","","","","","",""
"","News Director","KCBS radio","","","765-4080","","","","","","","","","comment/letter #"
"","News Director","KGO radio","","","362-5827","","","","","","","","","news letter/comment #"
"","News Director","KCBS TV","1","213","460-3733","","","","","","","","","LA"
"","News Director","KGO TV News","","","956-6402","","","","","","","","","SF Channel 7"
"","News Director","KPIX TV","","","765-8916","","","","","","","","","comment/letter #"
"","News Director","KRON TV","","415","561-8759","","","","415","561-8000,2","","","",""
"","News Director","KTVU Newsroom","1","510","451-2610","","","","","","","","","for news story public file letters, business news, newsroom in general"
"","Producer","America's Most Wanted","","202","895-3125","","","","","","","","","studio fax; may only be active during show"
"","Producer","America's Most Wanted","","202","895-3280","","","","","","","","","office fax: may only be active 9-5 weekdays"
"","Public File","KRON News","","","561-8136","","","","","","","","","for public file"
"Edythe","Wise","FCC Broadcast Public FIle","1","202","653-9659","","","","","","","","","for public file"

-----
>To: [email-masked]
>From: "Lance W. Bledsoe" <[email-masked]>
>Newsgroups: info.firearms.politics
>Subject: Re: Fight back: media attacks on NRA - The Article
>Date: 12 Mar 1993 16:06:29 -0600

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Patrick Fitzgerald) writes:
>I got the latest American Rifleman yesterday, and it has
>some interesting information.
>
>The FCC has passed some new regulations that will be of use
>to us.  With the new regulations, if a TV or radio station
>broadcasts an "attack" on the NRA, they must notify the NRA
>so it can make a response to the attack.  For example, if
>they broadcast a claim that the NRA supports "cop-killer"
>bullets, or works to help criminals keep guns, they must
>notify the NRA, and air a response.
>
>I don't have the info with me, but if anyone is interested,
>look in AR, or let me know and I can key in the information.
>They give a few addresses to which you can write with your
>complaints.

Don't bother to key it in, I already posted it:

               Media Fairness Action Plan Is Continuing

                          BY JAMES H. WARNER
                       NRA Ass't General Counsel

               (American Rifleman, March 1993, page 54)

THE Media Fairness Action Plan mandated by NRA's Board requests help
from NRA members across the country. Here's how you can participate.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has established the
"Personal Attack" Rule (Code of Federal Regulations at 47 C.F.R.
73.1920). If a broadcaster presents opinions on a controversial subject
such as gun control, and anyone (even someone who does not work for the
station) attacks the honesty, character, integrity or like personal
qualities of NRA, the station must notify us of the attack within one
week. The person or group must be given a chance to reply. A station
which does not comply could lose its license.

It has been reported to us, for example, that radio station KFI-AM in
Los Angeles broadcast a persona attack on NRA in December. The station
has not contacted us. We need NRA members to monitor this station,
listening for personal attacks upon NRA.

An example of a personal attack would be to say that NRA is responsible
for the murder rate in Los Angeles, or that "NRA opposed a ban on
so-called 'cop killer' bullets." The statement must be false, and it
must question our honesty, integrity, character or other personal
qualities. If you hear such an attack on this station, write to (do not
call) the following address:

    NRA Broadcast Monitor
    1600 Rhode Island Ave. N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20036

Of course, if other stations in other cities make personal attacks upon
NRA, we want to know about them, also.

Television licenses are renewed by the FCC on a state-by-state basis,
and individuals may oppose those renewals.  In instances where people
in the media have called for the repeal of the Second Amendment, as was
done by an NBC-TV News executive, you can fight back.  If you live in
one of the states listed below, you should monitor the local NBC
affiliate. Every time the station broadcasts a news report you believe
is unfair, unbalanced or dishonest, you should write to the FCC, state
your complaint clearly, and ask that renewal be denied.  Your
complaint should be short (one page) and should only discuss one point
per letter.

The renewal schedule is as follows:

    June 1      - Kansas, Oklahoma. and Nebraska
    August 1    - Texas
    October 1   - Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Idaho

The address to write is:

    Federal Communications Commission
    Mass Media Bureau,
    Complaints and Investigation Branch,
    2025 M St. N.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20554

The Media Fairness Action Plan was adopted by the NRA Board of
Directors in response to the pronounced bias of public-funded
broadcasting. Sen. John McCain, (R-Ariz.) took the lead in Congress to
change the law to require more balance and fairness in public
broadcasting. In response to the new law, the Corporation for Public
Broadcasting (CPB) has established procedures for the public to
complain about perceived instances of unfairness or bias.

We urge you to complain every time you see or hear a biased
presentation you believe was not balanced by an opposing view. Write or
call:

    Public Comment
    P.O. Box 50880, Washington
    D.C. 20091-0880
    (800) 356-2626.

We have had a tremendous response to our media monitor program.
However, we must ask that you restrict your complaints to violations of
the Personal Attack Rule described above that applies to broadcasters
only. Please do not send newspaper clippings, and please do not write
about dishonest reporting, print, radio or television, regarding
firearms ownership. We can only get redress for direct attacks upon
NRA, and we do not have the resources to answer every complaint.

-- 
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Lance W. Bledsoe        [email-masked]        (512) 258-0112  |
|  "Ye shall know the TRUTH, and the TRUTH shall make you free."         |
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+